Wednesday, November 26, 2008

THE SPIRITUALITY OF ALONENESS


The enigmatic Glenn Gould, Canadian writer, Pianist, once wrote ( paraphrasing)

"When I am with another, I need 'x' amount of time to recover myself. He continued, everyone has their personal factor or formulaic inner number of contact followed by aloneness."

That is very insightful and is also quite human. Oh, we could get into the Introverts and the Extroverts; but, that is another subject altogether. I would like to stay with what Gould said.

Whether or not this formula is learned over time, changes over time, or is innate and inborn, I do not know: however, I shall agree with Gould that indeed, yes, there is this factor present. In my wanderings, I observe some ignoring their internal factor with the result being: stress, anger, self-abuse, and/or other societal woes. In a real sense, this human equation must be noted and obeyed for peace of mind and personal serenity.

I have experienced this in my life numerous times. For me, my algebraic equation is very high, perhaps, higher than most. I am a Monastic who needs plenty of time for thought and time alone. Sometimes, days alone. That is self-care and palliative for my soul. If I ignore it, stress occurs and I am in unbalance. The quotient of silence, too, is high for me. For my inner pendulum to be still, I need hours upon hours of absolute silence. Again, days sometimes.

Others don't have similar needs. Others can live feeding of the energies of other and manage beautifully; for, in fact, they would become diminished or nutrient depleted were it not for their constant concord with others. For me, as passive observer and pray-er for all, it is of interests to see different personalities with different scopes of need.

For oneself, this is one to ponder within:

Who are you?
What is your formula?
What suits you and nourishes you?
What empties you and leaves you withered and dry?

Think about Gould's equation, apply it to yourself, thinking deeply and most thoroughly.

Glenn Gould was a master thinker and writer of the 20th century. Would it not behoove us to listen, read, and inwardly digest the sensibility of his words.

No comments: